World War II
The British Army was afforded Dumbarton Castle as a military garrison during WW II, 1939 to 1945, in the form of the 54th Light Aircraft Regiment, formerly the Argyll and Southern Highlanders 9th regiment.
During this time there were frequent attacks on the town of Dumbarton and surrounding areas by German aircraft bombers and machine gunners.
In May 1941 a German aircraft dropped 4 bombs in Dumbarton during one such attack on the town.
During a guided visit to Dumbarton Castle, the pupils of local Braehead Primary School were introduced to its war role and its links with the 9th Battalion of Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders. Whilst a visit to the regimental museum at Stirling Castle allowed them to take a closer look at some of the objects and collections associated with the regiment.